Monday, July 15, 2013

Discovering Something New (u03a2)



This week, I visited Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything to explore a variety of websites. The first site that I chose to explore was a photo fun website called Dumpr. This is a “freemium” Web 2.0 photo fun tool. It’s not required that you register to create a free account, but it is strongly encouraged because it gives you the opportunity to save and store your photos. Dumpr adds a variety of fun effects to images from your computer, Facebook, Flikr, etc. After working its magic, it allows the user to save or send the image. It also connects to a variety of social media by giving you an embed code for several websites including Facebook, Wordpress, and Blogger. It appeared to me as though Dumpr has a social media aspect where you can follow other “friends” and dialogue back and forth about pictures, but I could not find any of that information very easily. My guess is that it is part of the paid membership. I tried to figure that out, but did not have much success. When I looked for more information on Dumpr, there was an old video on TeacherTube and also a link to the Dumpr blog, but it seemed as though the blog hadn’t been updated since 2009. Evaluating this site as an educator, it would not rank very high on my list of sites to devote class time to, but I do think that students would enjoy it to add a little bit of spice to presentations and tech projects.
              
                

Under online audio editors, Creaza was the next site I chose to explore. I was looking for something in similar functionality to Audacity so that my students could have access to it anywhere, but I was happily surprised that Creaza does way more than just edit audio. Creaza is not an American based company, which is neat, but also proved frustrating to me more than once. There are 9 different languages supported in Creaza and in the middle of my projects, I was sometimes switched to another language. This made navigating around an unfamiliar site very tricky! There are definite pros and cons to this. High school language teachers might enjoy the challenge for their students, but as a 2nd grade teacher, this would be frustrating for mine. After reading the blog, investigating some of the tools available, and checking the help section of the website, I decided to sign up. You can have an individual free account, but there is a fee for schools to use this site. One of the frustrating things was that they wouldn’t tell you a fee up front. You had to submit quite a bit of information to request a quote for your school. Dealing internationally with no physical address linking to this website made me uncomfortable. Other than that, Creaza was very relevant, engaging, and easily accessible (with accounts) making it a great resource to use within the classroom. The first thing I decided to try my hand at was Mindomo, which is an online mind mapping tool. I found it pretty easy to navigate once I started exploring, and I was surprised at the amount of features that were available with the free subscription. I appreciated this tool because you could lay out your mind map in the way that made sense to you and it was very easy to reposition thoughts and ideas once you got them down onto the screen. You can save right to your Creaza online account, which is nice for data storage and ease of access for students to come back to the project at home. Projects can also be edited and saved again, which is a very nice feature.

I then moved on to try my hand at the actual audio editing software. Multiple times that I clicked on the AudioEditor tool, it brought me a fresh screen, but it was in German! A few of my EDIM classmates might appreciate that, but it was EXTREMELY frustrating for me! I went ahead and tried to make a mixed sound effect anyway. Below is a screen shot of what I was able to accomplish. It is a small sound clip of rushing water with horses trotting through. The help section of the website was very helpful, and there was even a YouTube video embedded into it, but when all of the sounds are in German, I couldn’t decipher all of my options!

I know my students would love to use Creaza if I presented it as an option. A few more features that are available include making cartoons and movies! Creaza also has an app available for iPads, which I may look into for the fall. I spent over an hour and a half on this site and could have been there for a dozen more hours, but alas I had to keep moving.
The final site that I chose to explore was Zamzar – an online video converting site. Working with students on digital storytelling projects, iPads, mp3 players, etc. leaves teachers with a variety of media files. Sometimes it’s nice to convert them into a usable format so that all students can work with them. Zamzar allows you the opportunity to convert any file (up to 100MB) for free. All you have to do is select your file, choose which format you would like it converted to, and submit your e-mail address. It sounds quick, but this process takes quite a while. Once you’ve received the e-mail that your file is converted, you have 24 hours to retrieve your converted file. As I was exploring the site, I found it very user friendly, but full of advertisements. The help tab was well organized and gave all of the information I needed. Like the other sites I checked out, Zamzar also had a blog to give you up-to-date news and information and ways that others were using the service. I chose not to register for a Zamzar account, as it was a paid service of $7 a month. Since I wouldn’t use it that much, I didn’t feel like this was a worthwhile investment for me. I did go through the process of converting one of the videos I took on my iPhone to .wmv format to see how the site worked. The e-mail came through within 30 minutes, and I was easily able to download my new file! If I were going to use this site, I personally wouldn’t send my students to it. I would do the leg work and convert the files for them so that we were ready to go when it was time to publish a technology project.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment