Saturday, July 6, 2013

Digging Deeper into the Mainstays (u02a2)



This week we had the opportunity to review 3 different categories of Web 2.0 sites: social, creative, and curation. This was a fun learning experience for me because it forced me to dedicate time to exploring sites and evaluating them based on the criteria that I had set forth in my previous blog post. The sites I chose to explore were familiar only in that I’d heard of them, but had never looked into using them personally. It was a fun activity and below you will find my review of 3 different sites. 

Social
I’m very familiar with Facebook and have gotten my feet wet in Twitter so I decided to explore Edmodo this week. With so much information at our fingertips and people constantly on the go, many are using social media to keep up with the newest trends, tag valuable information, and communicate with others who are appearing equally as busy. I first had to discover what Edmodo was. “Using Edmodo teachers can create a microblogging network for their classes. Edmodo allows teachers to create a group specifically for their students and exclude those not invited to the group. Edmodo provides teachers with a place to post assignment reminders, build an event calendar, and post messages to the group” (Byrne, 2011). Student learning through social media can be enhanced because of the relevancy to students, the immediate feedback available by teachers and peers, and the online presence that it allows students to establish. Most students enjoy the opportunity to share from such a platform.
Personally, I can see Edmodo as a great tool for a teacher to use personally to keep their education sites, blogs, resources, etc. all in one place. I liked the fact that you can use Edmodo as your reader by using the RSS feature. I also appreciated that you can save and store a variety of files and media types without having to carry around a flash drive or be connected to a specific network each time you want to access school information. There seem to be many great benefits to using Edmodo with students. There are several blog posts and discussion threads that share uses. I really appreciated that the possibilities seemed endless. It was anything from having students save files to access later to book discussions to designing projects and submitting them to sharing grades with parents to sending students positive reinforcement messages to organizing a calendar of assignments to communicating cross-culturally with other students to watching videos to differentiated instruction to you name it! If you weren’t sure how to use a resource, the Edmodo blog was VERY helpful, as was the webinar you could attend live (or watch the pre-recorded version).
Students seem to find Edmodo easy to navigate whether on the web or as an app on a mobile device. Parents seem to support it because it is very secure. School districts are in favor of free services teachers are able to utilize it. Teachers enjoy the opportunity to network and openly communicate with other teachers as well as their students in a centralized location. With all of the new curriculum, standards, evaluation systems, etc. that are coming down the pike next year, I don’t think I’m ready to bring my 2nd graders into the Edmodo community. I may explore around and network a bit more, but we’ll see. With so many online opportunities, I need to make sure I’m going for mile-deep rather than mile-wide resources.

Creative
I LOVE Glogster – maybe even a little too much – and VoiceThread was a unit in one of my other Instructional Media courses so I decided to do more investigation into the creative presentation mode of Prezi. I’ve seen several presentations with Prezi, and attempted to create one of my own on the fly last year, but I’ve never actually learned how to effectively use it. Creative media enhances student learning in a large part because of its name – creative. It’s allowing students to construct a project to demonstrate and apply their knowledge in a relevant and visually appealing fashion. Prezi is no exception. Not only can students create 3D zooming presentations, they can also collaborate simultaneously on PCs, Macs, iPads, and iPhones.
Educators all over the world seem to be interacting with Prezi. If you register with a school district e-mail, you receive a free edu Prezi account. This is a nice service offered to teachers. Many teachers are blogging about their Prezi usage with students from Pre-K through High School. Other than creating presentations with text, a Prezi can also include embedded video and other types of graphic media. Being a 2nd grade teacher, I spent the majority of my time seeing how primary teachers were using Prezi. Many said they make a quick Prezi to embed YouTube videos they would like to share with their students. This eliminates all of the ads and shows the video on a clean white screen, but it seems to be a step that is not needed to me. Other primary teachers were presenting content to students in much the same way you would with a Power Point. In one of the most interesting ways I saw a kindergarten teacher using Prezi was to show short video clips for social sciences and ask a question as soon as it was over. This was immediate assessment and feedback for her, and I thought it was a great idea! Several other teachers were having their older elementary students who were working on researching a topic use a Prezi as the mode of delivering their project.
It is interesting that I came along several dialogues about usage by minors. Technically, the Prezi website of terms and conditions says usage by, “Minors under the age of 13 (is) not permitted” ("Everything you need," 2013). I read several blog posts about this topic as well as the discussion boards on the Prezi website. It was interesting that a supposed Prezi employee gave permission to one teacher to use it with her 4th-6th grade students. Hmmmm…if the terms and conditions can be violated, why were they created? Although you might call me old fashioned, I will probably not be using Prezi myself or with my 2nd graders in the near future. It is very “busy” and overwhelming to me. The zooming feature makes me dizzy – especially if a variety of media is embedded. One of the most frustrating parts of Prezi to me is that it didn’t seem as though you can create a template and use that same formatting for each of your presentations. I do like that you can import Power Points that you already have completed, but I feel like Prezi has a much larger learning curve in learning how to navigate it. Good or bad, my schedule isn’t currently permitting me that much time to change over presentations.

Curation
Being able to store and share websites, articles, ideas, games, etc. is incredibly valuable for teachers. Curation of articles, resources, etc. for teachers is valuable because it places many ideas right at our fingertips. If we don’t have to spend as much time searching, we can focus more on effective lesson planning, building of relationships, and intervention/enrichment with our students. Using a curation site such as Symbaloo, Tizmos, etc. for student access enhances student learning because it provides them with age-appropriate, teacher-selected resources in one location. Not only does it make for easier access (especially for primary students), it also gives students specific guidance in where they are to be going online. One curation website that I was not familiar with was Scoop.it. “Scoop.it collates work from online publications using an online magazine format” (Johnson, 2013). I thought it would be similar to Pinterest so I was excited to give it a try. Individuals register through social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest) or by simply using an e-mail address. After registering, you can create a Topic and use keywords for Scoop.it to give you suggested articles.
After exploring the site itself, reading the help guide and several other blog posts related to Scoop.it, I discovered that there are quite a few teachers who use this resource. It seemed as though a large portion of teachers who use it do so in a fashion similar to the former Google Reader. They will gather educationally based articles from their favorite blogs, websites, and online magazines and house them all in one location. You also have the opportunity to write/publish your own posts on Scoop.it. When finished, you are then able to tag whatever you’ve “scooped” so that others can locate it to read and/or “re-scoop”. Teachers who have students using Scoop.it are teaching them how to appropriately network and dialogue online, tag or use keywords to find information easily, collaborate with others, and gain a deeper understanding of the topic they are researching.
Scoop.it did not seem to be very user-friendly to me. The information I read about it seemed to disagree, but I found myself overwhelmed and confused when trying to use it and the help section of the website was very long and wordy. Pinterest is very easy to navigate, and I think I was expecting the same from Scoop.it, which also affected my perception of the site. I personally do not like linking all of my social media as I use it for different purposes so I chose to register via e-mail. The process was very simple, but you had to activate the account by confirming through your e-mail. Depending on the settings in your district, this could not work out with students. Another tricky aspect about using this service with students is that the terms and conditions state that no one under age 13 is permitted to use it and those 13-18 must have parent/guardian consent. The final aspect of Scoop.it that I did not care for was that you can only create 5 topics. I like to sort my information in very specific categories and felt that Scoop.it was for broad usage.

Resources:
Byrne, R. (2011, December 12). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.freetech4teachers.com/ 2011/12/15-things-teachers-students-can-do-with.html
Everything you need to know when using prezi. (2013, May 154). Retrieved from http://prezi.com/terms-of-use/
Johnson, L. (2013, February 18). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.teachthought.com/ technology/why-scoopit-is-becoming-an-indispensable-learning-tool/

No comments:

Post a Comment